lwip-devel

Re: [lwip-devel] RE: [task #7017] Implement DNS client

From: Frédéric BERNON
Subject: Re: [lwip-devel] RE: [task #7017] Implement DNS client
Date: Sun, 4 Nov 2007 14:18:09 +0100

Uhmmm, I'm not share this point of view about the place of the DNS resolver. DHCP, AUTOIP, IGMP, SNMP are in the lwip/core because they need internal changes inside the lwIP core. But DNS is a upper level protocol. Even if it's the mainly used protocol upper the stack, when/if we provide the socket API functions (gethostbyname, etc..), we will got the problem about the need to provide a "hostentry" per thread (since a "static" variable should be a really dirty solution). That's why I continue to think that DNS should be provide in the contrib (to let the port maintainer decide how to provide this "hostentry" per thread).

----- Original Message ----- From: "Simon Goldschmidt" <address@hidden>