lwip-devel

[lwip-devel] [task #6735] Provide new pbuf type: PBUF_RAM_NOCOPY

From: Jared Grubb
Subject: [lwip-devel] [task #6735] Provide new pbuf type: PBUF_RAM_NOCOPY
Date: Tue, 31 Jul 2007 18:52:37 +0000

>  However see comment #43 of bug #11400.

Thanks, I hadn't seen that background.

> Even if we don't want to include any changes for 1.3, it would be good to
have something written to tell users that reusing pbufs after transmission is
deprecated and will be unsupported in 1.4. So it's worth resolving this soon.

Absolutely. If lwIP cannot support a zero-copy environment efficiently, I
think this must be a high-priority task for the very near future (whether it's
1.3.0 or not). This is an embedded stack after all; extra rules on the
application in order to ensure efficient memory usage and tight code are par
for the course.

By the way, we have begun a documentation wiki (I'm sure you saw the
messages). I am trying to be verbose and get lots of discussion on issues like
this one so that we can document it well. You guys may all know what's going
on, but for a newcomer like me, there is a big learning curve!

  <http://savannah.nongnu.org/task/?6735>

  Message sent via/by Savannah
  http://savannah.nongnu.org/