lwip-devel

[lwip-devel] [bug #20515] TCP delayed ack does not work as expected

From: Kieran Mansley
Subject: [lwip-devel] [bug #20515] TCP delayed ack does not work as expected
Date: Thu, 19 Jul 2007 07:52:22 +0000

I would be extremely cautious about a change like this.  Although it might
make the traffic pattern you use faster, it could make another pathologically
worse.  I don't have a specific example, and not against the change on
principle, but would prefer to wait on this till after 1.3.0 at least.

I would also leave the call to tcp_ack(), i.e.:

if (old_win <= TCP_WND/2) {
  tcp_ack_now(pcb);
else {
  tcp_ack(pcb);
}

Also, was the change in from ">= TCP_WND/2" to "<= TCP_WND/2" deliberate?

The reason I'm cautious is that we don't remember exactly why the code was
written like that, and what problems were solved by the code being like this.
 If we go ahead and change it, we could be rediscovering a set of bugs that
were fixed long ago.

  <http://savannah.nongnu.org/bugs/?20515>

  Message sent via/by Savannah
  http://savannah.nongnu.org/