lwip-devel

[lwip-devel] [task #6792] Create ASSERTs for DEBUG compile

From: Kieran Mansley
Subject: [lwip-devel] [task #6792] Create ASSERTs for DEBUG compile
Date: Wed, 23 May 2007 15:13:08 +0000

I'm still of the opinion that asserts are a debug feature, and so all the
existing LWIP_ASSERTs would remain as LWIP_ASSERTs.

The LWIP_CHECK was suggested because I thought there was a wish to have
something akin to an assert that persisted in a release build.  I was keen
that this not actually be a fatal error, as such things in release builds are
bad.  I don't have a good example of what it would be used for (and agree that
error handlers would be in most cases better) but there seemed to be a demand
for this, although perhaps I've misunderstood.  Perhaps for those cases where
the programmer is assuming something to be true, and really thinks it will
always be true, but wants a little insurance that there will be some
notification if it turns out not to be true.  They could use LWIP_CHECK to
get this insurance.

I would also be OK with no LWIP_CHECK if people prefer that.  Or with
LWIP_ASSERT becoming just a warning in a release build.

  <http://savannah.nongnu.org/task/?6792>

  Message sent via/by Savannah
  http://savannah.nongnu.org/