lwip-devel

[lwip-devel] [task #6735] Provide new pbuf type: PBUF_RAM_NOCOPY

From: Simon Goldschmidt
Subject: [lwip-devel] [task #6735] Provide new pbuf type: PBUF_RAM_NOCOPY
Date: Tue, 24 Apr 2007 18:04:20 +0000

>Protocols that send dynamic data can just send the char * and length
directly, rather than having to wrap a pbuf around it. And tcp_write()
already takes a 'copy' flag after all. Unless I'm misunderstanding what
you're getting at?

With dynamic data I mean they have to create the data each time they're asked
to send something (e.g. no static files or something). If they write to a
private buffer they will have to present that buffer until it is finally sent
(OK, that works already in conjuction with tcp_sent callback). But creating
the data right into a pbuf you a) only need one pbuf instead of a buffer, a
PBUF_REF and a PBUF_RAM for the headers. Also it is freed automatically.

It's not a must, only an idea for the future...

  <http://savannah.nongnu.org/task/?6735>

  Nachricht geschickt von/durch Savannah
  http://savannah.nongnu.org/