lwip-devel

Re: RE : [lwip-devel] SYS_STATS ?

From: Jonathan Larmour
Subject: Re: RE : [lwip-devel] SYS_STATS ?
Date: Wed, 11 Apr 2007 01:28:12 +0100

[ Old thread I know, but I have a backlog ]

Frédéric BERNON wrote:
It is used in some ports (coldfire & unix).

Of course there are many more ports tham those checked into lwip's CVS :-).

But it would be better to
name it SYS_ARCH_STATS and to use SYS_STATS for sys.c operations... But
in a first time, I will let like that to not break the ports...

It's to do with the 'sys' subsystem, which is the system abstraction subsystem. I think it's okay to say it's not particularly different from sys.c - it's just the veneer for the port stuff. The same would be true for SYS_DEBUG - although that is used by sys.c, there isn't a separate define for the port.

I will also found usefull to change stats.h/.c to only declare &
display counters if the matching define is set to 1. I will reduce the
footprint, and stats_display will only show usefull informations (and
not list with 0).

The only problem with that is that now in a debugger, it becomes a bit more difficult to associate the elements of a printed lwip_stats structure with what it means - before I could just compare it line for line with the struct _stats definition.

Would anyone mind in that case if I also incorporated a const char * element to each of the individual stats structures (proto, mem, pbuf, syselem, sys) which would be the associated name? It would mean the memp_names structure in stats_display() would disappear, so the footprint should stay about the same.

Jifl
  **  Visit us at ESC Silicon Valley <http://www.embedded.com/esc/sv> **
  **  April 3-5 2007, Booth 1922, San Jose McEnery Convention Center  **