lwip-devel

[lwip-devel] [bug #19177] Faulty arp initialization in ethernetif_init s

From: Jonathan Larmour
Subject: [lwip-devel] [bug #19177] Faulty arp initialization in ethernetif_init skeleton
Date: Fri, 23 Mar 2007 07:04:51 +0000

Update of bug #19177 (project lwip):

             Open/Closed:                  Closed => Open

Follow-up Comment #4:

This patch is incorrect. PPP and SLIP users without ethernet interfaces
should not have the ARP timer (and probably won't be building netif/etharp.c
in the first place). That's why in the mail thread on lwip-users I was saying
it would happen in the port's tcpip_init_done callback because the port knows
whether there are any ethernet interfaces, and tcpip.c does not.

Either it should be left to the port, or there should be something like a new
LWIP_ETH (or ETH_SUPPORT?) feature test macro in opt.h (overriden by the
port's lwipopts.h), which can be used to make the ARP timer init
conditional.

I think adding something like LWIP_ETH would make things simpler overall.

Separately, on the move of etharp_init to tcpip_init_done, I would think that
if this change stays, it's important that this new requirement for ports is
highlighted (and the example ports in contrib/ should be updated). But if we
did have the ability to test for LWIP_ETH, then we could add etharp_init to
tcpip_init.

  <http://savannah.nongnu.org/bugs/?19177>

  Message sent via/by Savannah
  http://savannah.nongnu.org/