lwip-devel

RE: [lwip-devel] RFC: SYS_ARCH_DECL_PROTECT makes no sense, remov e it

From: Leon Woestenberg
Subject: RE: [lwip-devel] RFC: SYS_ARCH_DECL_PROTECT makes no sense, remov e it
Date: Wed, 05 May 2004 22:36:54 +0200

Hello Jim,

On Wed, 5 May 2004 15:57:59 -0400 , "Pettinato, Jim"
<address@hidden> said:

> Leon,
>
> Those of us using the raw API, NO_SYS, and attempting to allocate pbufs
> at the driver level (in interrupt time) on a processor with nested
> prioritized
> interrupts (i.e. 68K) find that protection mechanism invaluable. Simple

We are using the very same architecture.

Allocating pbufs in an interrupt handler is *bad habbit*. There is *no*
reason why one wants to do it there.

The interrupt handler should awaken a user-space task to read the device.

But I'll leave it in as bad habbits are hard to break for some :-)

BTW, how do you handle the case where a task holds the lock and then the
network driver interrupt fires with a packet received? The interrupt
cannot obtain the lock.

Regards,

Leon.