lwip-devel

[lwip-devel] HEADS UP please :-)

From: Leon Woestenberg
Subject: [lwip-devel] HEADS UP please :-)
Date: Thu, 22 Jan 2004 22:47:15 +0100

Hello developers,

After 0.7.0, let's use the new development scheme we discussed late
November 2003 (and seemed to agree on - see lwip-devel archives).

(The major reason being that no users really cared about DEVEL, so
regressions show up only when merging to main; introducing a couple
of bugs at once.)

Basically, we abandon DEVEL, except for major changes that will
break lwIP with reasonable certainty, such as module rewrites,
API changes. So:

- Do incremental development in HEAD (formerly we did this in DEVEL).
- Do intrusive changes in DEVEL (module rewrites, in/external API changes
etc.)

NEW RELEASE SCHEME

STABLE-x.y.z

x indicates major releases (usually this include major changes to the API)

y indicates minor releases containing changes and bug fixes, typically a
stable
release, available as a source archive as well.

z indicates bug fix releases of x.y. No new features are added!

FIXES-ONLY BRANCHES (STABLE-x.y)

When desired, we could additionally do the following, if enough effort is
made:

After every x.y.0 (zero) release we create a branch that merges fixes for
that release only, from the bug fixes in HEAD.

This way we can create really stable versions which do not include
regressions
due to new features.

We would work towards 1.0.0 in CVS HEAD, tag it with RELEASE-1.0.0 and
create a STABLE-1.0 branch for bug fixes on that release.

I am very interested in stabilizing 0.7.z (if there are any bugs left yet??
:-), but am
limited in time to maintain it. I will try to though.

Best Regards,

Leon Woestenberg.