RE: [Ltib] Can't get: linux-2.6.16-mx31-sdio.patch at ./ltib line599.

From: Stuart Hughes
Subject: RE: [Ltib] Can't get: linux-2.6.16-mx31-sdio.patch at ./ltib line599.
Date: Fri, 08 Dec 2006 16:50:57 +0000

Hi Vin,

See in-line

On Fri, 2006-12-08 at 09:46 -0500, Sesto, Vin wrote:
> Hi Stuart
>
> I am going to try this ASAP.
>
> Let me back up here for a second. My main goal is to get a rootfs and a
> native gcc built using LTIB. How should I go about doing this.

Okay, building a gcc to run on the target is not (yet) supported, and I
think doesn't work for the imx (it works for most powerpc though)

> Please tell me if my logic is in error below.
>
> 1. Get the CVS fix you mentioned below
> 2. Run LTIB
> 3. This produces a gcc that runs on intel platform which generates ARM
> instructions.

The host based cross toolchains are pre-built.  The reason is that we
need to have known tested binary toolchains to take them out of the bug
reporting equation.  Unless a toolchain is known to be good, anything
you build with it is a gamble.

> 4. This also produces a rootfs and a linux kernel image.
> 5. Next, I want to create a native gcc for the iMX31. How do I achieve
> this? I thought I could run ./ltib --configure and select gcc and other
> necessary libs (ie, binutils etc) and it would produce a native ARM gcc.
> I guess one thing I should be sure to do is to make the cross-compiled
> gcc be first in my PATH ...

Yes, that would be right, but unfortunately it's not supported for the
imx31

> Does this sound like the correct approach?

Yes, normally.  You'll need to work on a new spec file if you want to
get this running (e.g. gcc-411-gnueabi-nptl) unless we can merge all the
changes into a common spec (which is not that likely).

BTW: Why do you want to have a gcc to run on your imx31?

Regards, Stuart