[Ltib] Re: Changing ltib base dir

From: Stuart Hughes
Subject: [Ltib] Re: Changing ltib base dir
Date: Fri, 01 Dec 2006 17:23:14 +0000

Hi Kumar,

See inline,
On Fri, 2006-12-01 at 10:46 -0600, Kumar Gala wrote:
> On Dec 1, 2006, at 10:39 AM, Stuart Hughes wrote:

> I'm not suggesting /, but /opt (this we'd get /opt/ltib and /opt/pkgs)

Oops, I missed that on the line break.

> > Essentially there are 2 things to take care of if you want to
> > relocate /opt/freescale
> >
> > 1/ /opt/freescale/pkgs.  This can be changed by changing the value
> > in .ltibrc.  This directory is purely a place to cache downloads.
> > This
> > area is common to all ltib installations.  It operates completely
> > independently of /opt/freescale/ltib.
>
> This isn't really true.  Try changing it to something that isn't
> $bdir/pkgs in a fresh ltib install.  You'll get an error about
> creating the dir.  We don't currently have a way to create the dir.

That's true, you'd have to have a writable directory in the first place.
It will work if bdir changes.  The directory gets created by virtue of
the way ltib bootstraps itself.  You give sudo permissions to /bin/rpm
and it's this that creates $bdir (from rpm-fs.spec).  You also need to
give sudo permissions to $bdir/ltib/usr/bin/rpm.

I think those 2 things would get it.

> > 2/ /opt/freescale/ltib.  To change this you need to change the
> > value of
> > $bdir (~line 45 in ltib).
>
> Right, I'm suggesting we make $bdir = /opt

Okay, but see below for discussion on the name.

> > Is this something you'd like to change for everyone or just something
> > for your own project?  Personally as far as the public cvs goes I'd
> > like
> > to keep it as /opt/freescale as this way it would keep it consistent
> > with BSPs that have been produced in iso format.  Moving it would mean
> > when they switch to external cvs they'd end up re-installing and
> > downloading a lot of stuff they already have.
>
> I'll like this change for public cvs.  I guess this goes to the
> intent of ltib.  Is it a freescale specific project or intended for
> more generally use?  For example if we provide support for a AMCC 4xx
> ppc will that be acceptable?  If so I think having 'freescale' in dir
> names and such is bad form.

That's a fair point.  The only thing I wonder is whether /opt/pkgs is
quite so nice?

Ideally I don't want to put pkgs under $bdir as to completely remove
ltib, I like to (currently) do: rm -rf /opt/freescale/ltib and leave my
downloads /opt/freescale/pkgs alone.  That's the logic behind that one.

The logic behind the value of $bdir originally came from my
interpretation of
http://www.pathname.com/fhs/pub/fhs-2.3.html#OPTADDONAPPLICATIONSOFTWAREPACKAGES

I took it to mean that I should put ltib in either:

/opt/ltib or /opt/freescale/ltib

maybe /opt/ltib is a better choice that /opt for $bdir.  At least this
would mean we don't mix up our ltib parts with other packages.

For the LPP (pkgs directory), I'm not sure where to put that.  I'd
prefer not to put it in /opt/ltib/pkgs, but that's a possibility (and
it's clean).  Do you have any thoughts on that.

> > One other thing to watch out for, it's possible that the odd spec file
> > (or something else) has /opt/freescale hard wired into it (it
> > shouldn't).  So it's possible you may run into that.
>
> Fair, when we run into these will fix them up.

Actually it's a good way of picking up these bugs.

I welcome further comment, but can we also leave it for a few days and
see if anyone else has any points to raise.

Regards, Stuart