lout-users

Re: Independent columns through the whole document

From: Oliver Bandel
Subject: Re: Independent columns through the whole document
Date: Sat, 16 Apr 2016 02:40:36 +0200

Zitat von Jeff Kingston <address@hidden> (Wed, 13 Apr 2016 07:46:56 +1000)

I want to have the following: a document that contains
two *independent* columns, where each of those columns
is going through the whole (multi-paged) document.

There reason for this is:
I want to have one text as the original, layoutet in the first column.
The second column is to be intended as a "comment-column" (or one
also could use it as a
column with the translation of the "original column".

How to achieve that?  This should be easy in lout?!?

For the commentary application, see @MarginNote in the User's
Guide, somewhere near where footnotes are documented.
[...]

I will use this way together with higher values for

@OddRightMargin,

@EvenLeftMargin

and

@MarginNoteWidth.

I tried around with setting  @MarginNoteFont to 1.00f,
but the distance between Margin-Note-Lines is smaller
than the line-distance between main-text lines.

Can this line-distance in MarginNotes be changed too?

Maybe there are good typographic reasons, because of better readability,
if the Margin-Notes look different to the main text.

But just from technical curiosity I would like to know,
if the MarginNotes could act like a second column.

(Thats what I had in mind first, but then thought, a different appearance of the
 commenting text might be better for readability.)

On the galley-expertise for the other way: well,
maybe one day...
... at the moment my main interest is rather to have an easy to use
system, with less typing-clutter than needed with some LaTeX stuff.
It looks like some complicated formulas can be done easier in lout.
(So, my main goal is to save typing-time, compared to LaTeX.)

Maybe if my mind changes and I want to go deeper into lout,
I could explore the galleys in more depth.

Good to know, there are "some" more possibilities left open :-)

Ciao,
   Oliver