lout-users

Re: Difference between ps and pdf

From: Matěj Cepl
Subject: Re: Difference between ps and pdf
Date: Wed, 06 Apr 2016 09:36:14 +0200

On 2016-04-06, 02:40 GMT, Valery Ushakov wrote:
> On Wed, Apr 06, 2016 at 04:30:29 +0200, Oliver Bandel wrote:
>
>> I found two examples of lout-code, in which the postscript-output
>> looks as expected, but the pdf-output (directly coming from loud) is
>> crapped.
>
> PDF backend is not really suitable for anything advanced.  It's ok for
> text and tables, but graphics doesn't really work.  Advanced graphics
> in Lout relies on PS interpreter to do computations to "finish" the
> layout.  This obviously can't work with PDF.

Yes, Oliver's example seems to work perfectly well when the
PostScript generated by lout is run through ps2pdf (from GPL
Ghostscript 9.07 (2013-02-14)) as seen on
https://mcepl.fedorapeople.org/tmp/lout-graphics-test.pdf

Best,

Matěj

--
https://matej.ceplovi.cz/blog/, Jabber: address@hidden

understand, v.:
    To reach a point, in your investigation of some subject, at
    which you cease to examine what is really present, and
    operate on the basis of your own internal model instead.