lout-users

Re: Tbl iformat Rowi

From: Pierre
Subject: Re: Tbl iformat Rowi
Date: Wed, 10 Jul 2013 15:01:49 +0200

On Tue, 9 Jul 2013 16:57:03 -0500
<address@hidden> wrote:

> Robin,
>
> Removing both 'iformat' and 'Rowi' will solve the problem, but it's
> > unexpected. Is this a bug?
> >

> No, I don't think this is a bug.  The section of the Lout manual
> "Changing the appearance of rows" (Section 6.3 in my very old manual)
> explains that there are eight row format options.  The important word
> here is *format*. If you want up to eight different formats for the
> rows in your table, you use @Rowa, @Rowb etc.  If you want all the
> rows the same, they can all be @Rowa.

Exactly.

> I've edited your table a little -- see below.  I added alternating
> shaded rows with the apaint option.  The final "|" after @Cell D
> alters how the width of the cell D is handled -- I can't remember why
> this is necessary. Someone else on the list can explain.  You can
> take it back out and see what happens -- cell D becomes extra wide.

The last | creates an horizontally-concatenated object with which the
table (well, the row, in that case, but the table's width is determined
by the rows') has to share horizontal space; otherwise the table
expands to take all the available space, regardless of what is actually
"distributed" to columns.
You can add the concatenation symbol (|) after the whole table (after
the closing brace) for the same effect -I find it more elegant. You can
also hard-code the table's dimensions if you don't like surprises.

--
Pierre