lout-users

Re: Everything on a single page

From: Jeff Kingston
Subject: Re: Everything on a single page
Date: Wed, 12 Jun 2013 16:45:28 +1000

Dear Lout users,

I'm pretty sure I've worked out what is going on here.  As
Uwe discovered, there is a partially uninitialized array.  The
uninitialized bits have a flag saying "don't use me", but the
array of flags is being shared between two fonts, which was
fine long ago when it was constant, but broke when it became
non-constant during an enhancement.  Things started to happen
when the TOC was added because it is at that time that two
sizes of TimesCE Bold are first present; these are the two
fonts that erroneously share the array of flags.

At present the only workaround is to not use composite
characters in fonts that appear in two sizes.  So a new
release is called for, and I'll get to work on that more
or less right away.  It will take a little while because I
have to look through all the mail since the last release.

There is no problem with the apparently missing information
in the font metrics file.  Lout substitutes information from
the corresponding unaccented character when information for
an accented character is missing.  Vertically it may not be
quite right but it keeps the show on the road pretty well.

Thanks to Uwe for narrowing down the search space to
nearly nothing.

Jeff