lout-users

Re: Margin kerning, inter-sentence spacing and drawings

From: Denis José Navas Vega
Subject: Re: Margin kerning, inter-sentence spacing and drawings
Date: Sun, 15 Jul 2012 15:11:51 -0600

2012/7/15 Matej Nanut <address@hidden>:
> As for spacing between sentences, I will use the "compress" @Space
> option and manually insert "~~" (or some other symbol that I'll
> define) with a definable amount of spacing. Either way, I've read all
> over the internet that double-spacing is not to be used anymore in
> modern typography, but many people also disagree. There was not much
> mention of x1.3 spacing or similiar, though. (I myself am not sure
> where I stand on this argument.)

I agree with the idea that the space between sentences should be
greater than the spacing between words.  It is a visual clue, that
separates two sentences, but also, more beautiful.

If can't be that way, we should ask, why is allowed (in english) to
start a paragraph without a space with the previous one, trusting the
visual separation to an discrete indentation in the first line.

-- Denis J. Navas