lout-users

Re: the next version of Lout

From: Ludovic Courtès
Subject: Re: the next version of Lout
Date: Wed, 18 Jan 2012 15:35:34 +0100

Hello Louters!

Jeff Kingston <address@hidden> skribis:

> On Tue, Jan 17, 2012 at 04:08:08PM +0100, Ludovic Court?s wrote:
>> FWIW I would also prefer Git, which is supported on Savannah, but I
>> think the main criterion is for the tool to be convenient for Jeff.
>
> I don't see this at all.  The idea now is to involve others, so
> we want it to be as convenient as possible for as many people as
> possible.  Also I'm not sure why one tool would be more convenient
> for me than another, given that I'm not currently a user of any.

Good point. :-)  Git is widely perceived as more demanding for someone
learning it than Subversion, but it’s surely not so difficult either.

An introduction that I like is “Git for computer scientists” [0].  It
does not tell much about the commands, but illustrates the main concepts
concisely.

  [0] http://eagain.net/articles/git-for-computer-scientists/

> Judging from the responses so far, there seems to be universal
> support for moving to a collaborative project on Savannah using
> Git, provided the project is not allowed to drift away from the
> fairly tight coordination that I have traditionally provided.

Yes.

> So I'll wait a bit longer, do some reading up on Git, and then
> start work on making that happen.  Hopefully Ludovic will help
> me over the rough patches.

I’ll do my best.  I see Uwe is around these days, which is also
reassuring.  :-)

Thanks,
Ludo’.