lout-users

Re: Some Newbe Questions

From: Jeff Kingston
Subject: Re: Some Newbe Questions
Date: Fri, 1 May 2009 07:27:06 +1000

Chris,

> From: Christian Kosmowski <address@hidden>
> To: address@hidden
> Subject: Some Newbe Questions
>
> I'm completely new to Lout and have some specific questions. I trie'd
> learn LaTex but this is much to complicated for programming.

Welcome to Lout.

> Question 1.) Defining dynamic Symbols

I'm not sure whether you are a programmer or not.  If not, it sounds
like you need to learn about parameters.  There is an example using them
in Section 2.13 of the User's guide: @GreyBox, defining a shaded box
where the thing inside changes each time.  If you are a programmer,
then the answer is that there is no way to do what you specifically
ask for.  If you reveal what is currently a deep secret, namely what you
need it for, we might be able to find a different way to do that thing.

> Question 2.) Getting Width and Height
>
> If i have an object like
>
> 5c @Wide {Bla bla bla bla ..... bla bla}
>
> How can i retrieve the height of it?

You can't, and there isn't really anything you could do with it
even if you could get it.  Again, if you choose to reveal what
you actually need this for, there might be another way.

> Question 3.) Non-Outputtet Objects

Basically the same as Question 2.

Jeff Kingston