lout-users

Re: Compiling lout 3.38 on Windows with mingw+msys

From: KHMan
Subject: Re: Compiling lout 3.38 on Windows with mingw+msys
Date: Fri, 17 Oct 2008 10:13:44 +0800

Remo Dentato wrote:
On Thu, Oct 16, 2008 at 11:33 PM, Hugh Sasse <address@hidden> wrote:
On Fri, 17 Oct 2008, Jeff Kingston wrote:

Is there some standard out there
which is used for saying which OS you are on?  I can't find a
variable for it anywhere in the GNU make documentation.

Running "uname" is good, as long as we have a Unix-style shell. MSVC support would need a separate nmake file anyway.

 Normally this sort of thing is dealt with by configure in the GNU world,
so autoconf docs may be more instructive.

You are right, I didn't think of it (probably because I don't like it
very much :) )

To my understanding autoconf compiles a dummy program to get the
extension. Something like:

SUFEXE = `echo "main(){}" > xx.c ; gcc -o yy xx.c ; ls yy* | sed
's/yy//'; rm xx.c yy*`

Could be an option...

Many thanks for keeping it going...

Recent GNU make versions are very powerful and can probably make the Makefile very smart, but I like the simplicity of Lout's makefile and I think a separate detection script is better.

A custom configure script can be very small, e.g. what Fabrice Bellard uses in tcc, mainly "uname -s". It would require MSYS as well for MinGW; not a big deal. Another method: For Lua, the top-level makefile forces the user to specify the platform, e.g. "make posix", so that platform-specific configuration can be explicitly set. In both cases, the simplicity of the Makefile is preserved.

--
Cheers,
Kein-Hong Man (esq.)