lout-users

Re: Writing letters

From: Jeff Kingston
Subject: Re: Writing letters
Date: Wed, 08 Oct 2008 09:53:08 +1100

Robert Riebisch wrote:
> Erm, sorry! I think you misunderstood. This is for the sender's
> (my) address. ;-) The recipient's address should follow now below
> at 6.0cm from the top of the page.

As I understand it, the basic problem is to get the next thing
6cm from the top of the page, ignoring what came before.  The t
(tab) unit of measurement does that both horizontally and
vertically, so I would start by preceding that next thing by

    //6ct

to get a downwards tab to the 6c point.

This won't give the right result as is because it will actually
tab within the enclosing available space, which probably starts
at the bottom of the top margin, or after the running header,
depending on how things are done behind the scenes.  But it will
give a fixed vertical position (i.e. even when the amount of stuff
before it changes, the thing after it will remain at that same
vertical position), and you can fiddle from there.

Using @Place is probably not a good idea because the thing subject
to @Place then seems to Lout to take up no space.

Fiddling with @StartOddTop seems wrong to me from a design point
of view; I think the address is part of the content of the document,
not the layout.  I would be burying the //6ct in a definition called
@Address, or even using a definition for the whole document:

    def @Letter
        named address {}
        ... other options ...