lout-users

Re: Bitmap images in PDF?

From: Michael Piotrowski
Subject: Re: Bitmap images in PDF?
Date: Wed, 20 Aug 2008 09:53:16 +0200

On 2008-08-20, Mark Summerfield <address@hidden> wrote:

>> Sorry for probably asking a stupid question: How can I include a small
>> bitmap image (JPEG, PNG, ...) in my *PDF* documents? I'm using Lout 3.36
>> on Windows.
>
> I do this by converting them to EPS format using ImageMagick...

Lout requires EPS graphics.  ImageMagick is one way to convert bitmap
images into EPS.  Note, however, that by default, ImageMagick
uncompresses the image when converting it into EPS, resulting in
larger-than-necessary EPS file sizes.  Thus, I'd recommend tools like
jpeg2ps [1] or tiff2ps (from LibTIFF) [2], which do not uncompress the
images, yielding significantly smaller EPS files.

HTH

Footnotes:
[1]  <http://www.pdflib.com/download/free-software/jpeg2ps/>

[2]  <http://www.libtiff.org/>