lout-users

Re: next release of Lout is approaching (mingw vs cygwin)

From: Antonio Regidor García
Subject: Re: next release of Lout is approaching (mingw vs cygwin)
Date: Sat, 16 Aug 2008 08:21:32 +0000 (GMT)

Hi,

On windows, I only use lout calling it from other programs. I work for a
software company and write programs that use lout for printing. So, when
choosing between mingw and cygwin, the smaller and easier to install is the
better. I didn't use cygwin a lot, so I don't know: For a lout executable
compiled for cygwin, would it suffice to simply copy the cygwin dll to the lout
directory?

Greetings,

Antonio Regidor Garcia

> Also, since Lout may write to its library directory, it may
> run
> afoul of Vista security rules, if someone deign to install
> it in a
> certain way. There is no quick and easy way to redo the
> Unixy Lout
> to run the Windows way good and proper, so I consider the
> MinGW
> command-line version an evolutionary dead end. If I were to
> do all
> of this again, I would have stuck to Cygwin... :-)
>
> I think Cygwin would be a better in the long term rather
> than DOS
> Prompt. Even I hardly use DOS Prompt any more, it's
> usually a Msys
> shell or a Cygwin shell. DOS Prompt is more and more a
> thing of
> the past on Win32 for non-'IT admin' users. Being
> less of a novice
> programmer now, I would now want to keep project files up
> to date
> using at least a makefile, and for this I would immediately
> prefer
> to be using bash on Msys or Cygwin.
>
> At least Cygwin on Win32, at the moment, has a secure
> future
> (better still with Unicode support coming in 1.7) and a
> healthy
> community with good and proper shell scripting, and can
> accommodate Lout most easily.
>
> Just my 2 cents. Other views welcome.
>
> --
> Cheers,