lout-users

"symbol has reached its maximum expansion"

From: Yves Forkl
Subject: "symbol has reached its maximum expansion"
Date: Mon, 21 Apr 2008 08:23:19 +0200

Hi,

I fear that my thesis may be too "heavy" for Lout:

1) It gave me the obscure error "symbol has reached its maximum expansion (1000)". As the error referred to a line in a temp file where something like a footnote counter seemed to occur, I suppose that this has something to do with the fact that my whole thesis has 1154 footnotes.

This occurred when I was using @FootNoteThrough { Yes }, meaning that footnotes count through in each of the chapters. They have some hundred footnotes each, but definitely not more than 1000.

So is the error related to counting the footnotes through? Once I set @FootNoteThrough { No } so that numbering starts anew at each page, I didn't face that error again. (But at least in some runs, the PS produced showed hundreds of cases where the footnotes were on the wrong pages, sometimes I even had 3 footnotes all numbered as "1" on the bottom of the page! The last PS generated, however, seemed to be OK except for some rare, unobtrusive cases where the last footnote label on the page read "1", while its footnote appeared on the next page.)

2) My references database, when finished, will have about 180 K of size, its 535 references are cited in 2300 citations (plus about 1000 instances of @NoCite, generated when citing a reference contained in some other reference to make sure the containing reference also gets its entry displayed - but I might generate an include file that only contains one instance of @NoCite per containing reference, probably around 150 entries).

Will Lout also reach its limits when processing them, i.e., is there a symbol involved in the processing of the citations and references that might reach its maximum expansion here, too?

If so, what I can I do?

  Yves