lout-users

Re: Is there a way to force the table of contents to an even page?

From: Jeff Kingston
Subject: Re: Is there a way to force the table of contents to an even page?
Date: Fri, 08 Jun 2007 10:28:55 +1100

> (1) Yes. Is what I want better explained now?

Thanks, I see it all now.  We really started the discussion in the
middle before, but we are back to where we should be now.

> (2) I will test using this. Will the TOC still come out at the back?

If, when you say TOC, you mean a table of contents that Lout generates
automatically based on the chapters and sections of the document, then
it should never come out at the back.  It should come out as part of
the prefatory material, and be followed by the first page of Chapter 1.
So something is wrong somewhere; it almost sounds as though the TOC is
being generated manually, not by Lout, but I would need to see a cut-down
version of what is being fed into Lout to take this further.

> (3) I don't think I am tied to "book."  If possible could you send me
> a sample of your lout code and changes to setup file(s)?

It's hard for me to be sure whether you are making a book or a report.
We've already identified one mismatch with book: the unwanted title
page that can't be got rid of, unless there is an option for that.
There are options for fiddling with the prefatory matter but whether
they would allow you to get rid of the title page altogether I am not
sure.  There may be different mismatches if you use report.  For example,
sections (including the TOC) are usually separated by section breaks,
not page breaks, in a report, although there is an option for that.
Only you have the time and interest to work out which is best.

If you do switch to a report, you don't need sample code from me.
Just follow the instructions in Section 4.1 of the User's Guide.
You'll need to set an option to say that you don't want a separate
cover sheet (the Report equivalent of a separate title page), and
that you do want a table of contents.  There are a lot of other
options there in the setup file, that you can browse through.

Jeff