lout-users

Lout on Mac OS X

From: Dave Baldwin
Subject: Lout on Mac OS X
Date: Wed, 18 Apr 2007 16:31:53 +0100

I have just downloaded and compiled Lout 3.35 as per the makefile.

 lout -V
Basser Lout Version 3.35 (April 2007)
Basser Lout written by:      Jeffrey H. Kingston (address@hidden)
Free source available from:  ftp://ftp.it.usyd.edu.au/jeff/lout
This executable compiled:    15:04:39 Apr 18 2007
System include directory:    /usr/local/lout.lib/include
System database directory:   /usr/local/lout.lib/data
Database index files created afresh automatically: yes
Safe execution (disabling system()) is default: no
strcoll() used for sorting by default: yes
PDF compression on: no
Debugging (-d, -dd, -ddd flags) available: no

Basser Lout comes with ABSOLUTELY NO WARRANTY.
This is free software, and you are welcome to
redistribute it under certain conditions.  For
details on both points, consult the GNU General
Public License (distributed with this software).
~/Desktop/Downloads/lout-3.35/doc/user>

and tried to use it to recreate the user.ps

The reported errors for the last run are:

        : lout -r beginning run 6:
lout file "str_indx" (from "str" line 16, from "all" line 38):
    54,1: 0.3c object too high for 0.1c space; will try elsewhere
lout file "gra_summ" (from "gra" line 44, from "all" line 46):
    10,1: 24.1c object too high for 23.6c space; @Scale inserted
lout file "prg_tabs" (from "prg" line 141, from "all" line 48):
   66,23: prg2lout 2,1: program text ended within comment
   68,35: prg2lout 2,1: program text ended within comment

which are different than shown in the README in the lout-3.35/doc/ user directory.

The .ps file cannot be converted to a pdf by the Preview application so as a check I tried downloading the user.ps file mentioned in the README file from the ftp site and this also fails to be converted, so maybe this is a different problem. The conversion process worked for an earlier version of the document (3.25) so maybe this is the same problem a has already been reported when converting with Acrobat?

Anyhow, is the README out of date or has my installation gone wrong in some way?

Thanks,

Dave.