lout-users

Re: Hyphenation

From: Jeff Kingston
Subject: Re: Hyphenation
Date: Sun, 19 Nov 2006 07:09:54 +1100

> Of course the solution was to write @OneCol, but i ask the
> question if you would find it reasonable to prohibit a word
> from hyphenation at any other syllable, if it contains a
> "&-", but could not be hyphenated because of the layout?

It sounds reasonable, but I believe I know a better solution.
Lout's hyphenation files contain an optiona "exceptions"
section, where you can override the hyphenation of any word
by saying explicitly there what you want for that word.  So
I think it would be better to add your word to the exceptions
list, then you and everyone else can forget about it forever.

The German hyphenation file is $(LOUTLIB)/hyph/german.lh.
It currently contains no exceptions, but you can see some
examples of exceptions in $(LOUTLIB)/hyph/english.lh, and
there is nothing to stop you adding some to german.lh,
deleting the adjacent packed hyphenation file, german.lp,
and running.

If after all this you want to propose a change to the
german.lh file in the Lout release, post your suggestion
to the list, and if no-one objects I'll put it in.

Jeff