lout-users

Re: Running header

From: Jeff Kingston
Subject: Re: Running header
Date: Sat, 11 Jun 2005 16:34:30 +1100

> ... it often happens that the odd running title doesn't appear at the
> top of pages in which there are images (or in the next page).
> I noticed that compiling the same file many times, some titles on
> pages with images appear, but if I try to compile many-many-many
> times (>16) lout stops complaining that:
>
> lout file "myChapterFileName.lout.ld":
>   26766,7: fatal error: espression is too deeply nested

These seem to be two unusually nasty problems.

There was a problem behind the scenes getting the running header
right above pages with floating figures.  I haven't looked at
it for a while, but from memory, if you have a sequence of n
consectutive pages containing floating figures, then you need
about n runs to get all the running headers right in that
sequence.  The best thing to do is to reduce n by making sure
that ordinary pages are interspersed among the figure pages.
I would also suggest doing some experiments with smaller
documents, to get a feel for what is happening.  Things may
work better if the figures are inside chapters rather than
at the end of chapters.  If you can't work out what is
happening, let me know and I will do some experiments myself
and refresh my memory on this issue.

The error message you are getting points to line 26766 of
a cross-reference database file.  This seems to be a very
large line number.  I suggest you begin your investigation
of this by first moving any database files you may have
in the document directory to some other directory, then
removing file lout.li and all cross-reference database
files, which in Unix you do by the command

    rm lout.li *.ld

Then run lout a few times, and check the size of all your
cross-reference files after each run (Unix "wc *.ld").
These might grow a bit but should quickly settle into
a more or less steady state.  I am not sure what might
cause them to grow without bound, as yours seems to
be doing, but perhaps one figure nested within another,
or some unusual thing like that, might be the cause.

Another way to approach this problem might be to
try running just one chapter at a time, to see
whether the problem is caused by any particular
chapter; then running one of its sections at a
time, to narrow it down by section, and so on.

If you follow all these suggestions but are still
stuck, the next step would be to tar up your whole
document and put it on a web site where I can grab
it.  I will look through it for you and see what I
can find.  But please, only as a last resort; and
make sure you are running a current version of Lout,
since I can't conveniently test against an old one.

Jeff Kingston