lout-users

Re: Anyone done a phonebook in Lout? (UNCLASSIFIED)

From: Jeff Kingston
Subject: Re: Anyone done a phonebook in Lout? (UNCLASSIFIED)
Date: Wed, 09 Feb 2005 15:09:30 +1100

> cm |0.5rt { cragged @Break { str }}

Not quite sure what the problem is here.  Are you separating
your invocations of your symbol @CMCE by @DP or something
similar?  I tried this example:

    cm |0.5rt { cragged @Break { a much much
    longer string that requires breaking over
    two lines, probably, at least, this
    version of it will }}

and it worked fine.  The behaviour you report sounds like
your entire @CMCE invocation is already within a paragraph.
This could be because successive invocations of @CMCE are
separated only by white space, making them elements of one
paragraph rather than separate paragraphs as required.
The same problem would arise if an invocation of @CMCE
were preceded by @PP, which would put it into the middle
of a paragraph right away.  However @DP and @LP are safe.

If this is not your problem, cut it down to a small version
and post the whole thing.

Jeff

ps There is a degree of doubtfulness in your expression,
when str almost fills the line and hence centring it
could overlap with cm.  I think it might be better to
pitch on a maximum width and centre that width and
centre what's within it too:

    cm |0.5rt 3i @Wide { |0.5rt cragged @Break str }

I haven't tested this, but it should put a definite
upper limit (3i in the example) on how wide the
headings are allowed to get, an yet ensure that they
remain centred in all cases.  Yes, I know you would
prefer to replace 3i by "90% of the column width,
whatever that is", but there is no way to ask for that.