lout-users

Re: Problems with @Figure, @Verbatim and more

From: David Kuehling
Subject: Re: Problems with @Figure, @Verbatim and more
Date: 27 Jun 2004 14:58:56 +0200

> I can't really comment on your problems with @Figure, I'd have to look
> at it in detail.  But I'd echo the suggestion of someone else to turn
> page optimization off.  In that case the algorithm for placing figures
> is very simple, it just takes each figure as it comes to it and places
> it where @Location says, unless it doesn't fit there, in which case it
> tries to find a similar location later in the sequence of pages.  It
> should really be very predictable.  If you are convinced that there is
> something wrong with long sequences of figures, package up a small
> example and post it and I'll take a look at it.

I was just able to extract the problematic pages into a smaller
document, tar-file attached.  Two large figures are created
(protokoll-block_b.lout).

  @Figure
    @Location {Display}
  @Begin
    15c @Wide @Scale @IncludeGraphic "blatt2/receiver-proc.eps"
  @End @Figure

  @Figure
    @Location {Display}
  @Begin
    15c @Wide @Scale @IncludeGraphic "blatt2/transmitter-proc.eps"
  @End @Figure

Those figures are followed by a also quite large figure on the following
page.

Only the first one of the two figures appears in the output.  Even if
the order is rearranged (so it's not a question of one image being too
large).  The problem seems to be solveable by putting a @LLP in front of
both @Figures.  Again some problem with the paragraph-macro @PP?

Page optimization is turned off.  Makefile is included, which makes sure
that lout is run twice.

lout -v :

  Basser Lout Version 3.29 (August 2003)
  Basser Lout written by:      Jeffrey H. Kingston (address@hidden)
  Free source available from:  ftp://ftp.it.usyd.edu.au/jeff/lout
  This executable compiled:    21:47:33 Feb 18 2004
  System include directory:    /usr/share/lout/include
  System database directory:   /usr/share/lout/data
  Database index files created afresh automatically: yes
  Safe execution (disabling system()) is default: yes
  strcoll() used for sorting by default: yes
  PDF compression on: yes
  Debugging (-d, -dd, -ddd flags) available: no

Hope all this isn't just a typical newbie-mistake. :-)

David