lout-users

Re: macos X and terminal

From: Jeff Kingston
Subject: Re: macos X and terminal
Date: Sun, 22 Dec 2002 09:47:43 +1100

I'm not an expert, but I think the environment variable that
is giving you the trouble is probably called $LANG.  At
least, the only environment variable I can find on my system
that seems to relate to locales/collation has that name:

    LANG=en_AU

is the value I have here in Australia.  This fragment of
the Unix manual entry for setlocale might help too:

---------------
       If locale is "", each part of the locale that should be  modified  is
set
       according  to  the  environment  variables. The details are
implementation
       dependent.  For glibc, first (regardless  of  category),  the
environment
       variable  LC_ALL is inspected, next the environment variable with the
same
       name as the  category  (LC_COLLATE,  LC_CTYPE,  LC_MESSAGES,
LC_MONETARY,
       LC_NUMERIC, LC_TIME) and finally the environment variable LANG.  The
first
       existing environment variable is used.  If its value is not a valid
locale
       specification, the locale is unchanged, and setlocale returns NULL.

Jeff Kingston