lout-users

Re: line endings in Lout

From: Giovanni Zezza
Subject: Re: line endings in Lout
Date: Wed, 06 Nov 2002 00:02:16 +0100

Il Tue, 5 Nov 2002 02:30:25 +0300 (MSK), Robert A Duff scriveva:

>Yes, it is feasible and desirable.

Of course it is desirable, but it seems to me that it is actually feasible
only as long as every file has either only one or only another end-of-line
marker. If you edit DOS files in Unix or in Mac and vice versa with a not
smart enough editor (Epsilon, for one, wisely preserves what it find), you
may end with a mixed thing theoretically impossible to resolve: is CR+LF a
single DOS end-of-line, or a Mac one followed by a Unix one, that are two
end-of-line's?

The best one can do is an educated guess, it seems to me. Usually that will
be enough, but sometimes it might lead to strange and difficult to
understand behaviors. Or it's just my usual paranoia, and you have already
considered and resolved this problem (in fact, it has nothing to do with
DOS)?

Ciao.