lout-users

Re: `EndFontMetrics missing' error

From: Barrie Stott
Subject: Re: `EndFontMetrics missing' error
Date: Tue, 9 Jul 2002 15:28:10 +0100

On Mon, Jul 08, 2002 at 02:37:38PM -0700, Albert Kinderman wrote:
> If you have passed your file through DOS, you now have a CR-LF at the
> end of the line.  However, you are on a Unix system, which uses a
> different end of line.  Remove the extraneous end of line character from
> the EndFontMetrics line and you will be fine.

Many thanks, Al; it worked like a charm.

Now my memory is playing me up. I cannot remember, nor can I find in
any of the obvious places, how to specify where the glyph file goes. I
run stuff through lout and every character in the given font is
replaced by space. A message like the following comes for each
character:

        character "x" replaced by space ( it has no glyph in font
        OmegaSerifGreek Base )

I have created omsegr.pfa from omsegr.pfb and it has the correct unix
line endings. It sits in the same directory as my normal lout glyph
files. I've checked the Fontlist type files and added both appropriate
and inappropriate lines without any change in what lout reports. Lout
just doesn't seem to be able to find the .pfa file. However, I have
used TeX's testfont to print stuff out and ghostscript can find the
glyphs without problem.

Obviously, I am missing something - and probably something simple. I
seem unable to get any nearer and would appreciate any further help
you guys can offer.

Barrie.