lout-users

Re: The inners of Lout

From: Reimer Behrends
Subject: Re: The inners of Lout
Date: Mon, 25 Mar 2002 10:02:37 -0500

On Mon, Mar 25, 2002 at 01:30:01PM +0100, Oliver Bandel wrote:
[...]
> In typography TeX is superior (texprocessing character by character,
> which reults in finegrained typesetting of words; Lout uses the
> TeX-algorithms for linebreaking, not for typesetting the words
> itself),
[...]

To be honest, this claim surprises me. Both lout and TeX use the
kerning/ligature information contained in the respective font metric
files (put there by the font designer). Neither has anything like
InDesign's optical kerning, and thus the kerning quality is dependent
entirely on the font designer's skill, not on algorithms used by the
typesetting program.

                        Reimer Behrends