lout-users

Re: Caret over consonant letters

From: Valeriy E. Ushakov
Subject: Re: Caret over consonant letters
Date: Fri, 24 Aug 2001 17:38:22 +0400

On Fri, Aug 24, 2001 at 02:04:28 -0300, Marcelo Huerta wrote:

> Thanks, helpful enough to begin. However, a doubt (maybe silly for
> experts, but I'm no fonts cognoscenti: Is this enough to ensure that
> the new glyphs will be printed? If it's not, what should I do to be
> able to print those new glyphs?

Well, it obviously works for Czech ;)

Check list archives for the discussion of composite glyphs for more
details.  Basicly they are not new glyphs, rather lout uses existing
base letter and existing diacritic mark and impose them to obtain a
letter with diacritic that doesn't have a precomposed glyph in the
font.  Thus you can use just standard Adobe fonts.

Of course you can also use fonts that have all the precomposed glyphs.
Pros and cons were already discussed to death.

On Fri, Aug 24, 2001 at 09:52:34 -0000, Wolfram Kahl wrote:

> I used the following in a Latin1 context:
>
> {c |0.06fo @Char caron}
>
> For capitals, you probably need to add @VShift, perhaps along the lines of:
>
> {U |0.06fo {{0.9f} @VShift @Char caron}}

And the glyph composition feature basicly does just that only at the
very low level.  The obvious benefit is that with lout doing the
composition at the backend level hyphenation is possible, because at
upper levels Lout deals with words not complex objects.

SY, Uwe