lout-users

Why Lout? and how to with latin2

From: Radek Hnilica
Subject: Why Lout? and how to with latin2
Date: Mon, 16 Jul 2001 23:08:26 +0200

        Hello,

First I must say, that I'm not using lout.  It is because I am new
to lout and I need first resolve latin2.  I know about TeX, but
in this time I'm using for my simple documenation DebianDoc SGML
with tool that provide HTML,TXT and PS output (it provide much more
outputs but that three I am most interested in).  The DocBook XML
is some other way to future of markup (markup, not typesetting).

Because I have needs for pictures in my documents I was sniffing
arround.  I remeber of nroff/troff in old book about UNIX I have,
and begin experimenting with groff.  The pic program got me.  It
is that what I need.  But the syntax of groff input is horrible.
While resolving latin2 problem with groff I see anywhere in mailing
list, I don't remember where, words about lout as typeseting
software.  I spend a time searching lout and info about it on net
and it seems like the perfect choice.

But while experimenting with groff and now with lout I discover
the strange world of PostScript and it's fonts.  I'm now modifying
some free ISO Latin2 fonts to work with groff.

What about latin2 in lout?  Is latin2 fonts a must, or can I use
latin1 fonts for typeseting in latin2?  I want ask, is there some
mechanism which can use latin1 and accents to typeset characters
in latin2?

I know that nothing is perfect in the world, but hope that lout
meet my needs.

--
Radek Hnilica <Radek at Balga dot CZ>
http://www.balga.cz/hnilica