lout-users

CRs in reference database files

From: Dan Wamba
Subject: CRs in reference database files
Date: Thu, 12 Jul 2001 16:36:23 +0400 (MSD)

Hi all
     and thanks for helping me with fonts,

This is a sort of warning. I experienced much problems
with lout reference databse files. I have written one
on unix and used on unix as well and all went right.
Then I switched to a modest laptop computer running
Win95 -- and installed lout there. The document in
question ran off only if all the references (perhaps
except of the first) were commented out. Otherwise I
got an error like this:

"fatal error: database index file seems to be out of
date"

or : "fatal error: syntax error in database file"

and an empty output file. I tried million things to
fix it (to delete index database file, retype database
file manually, delete all "\r" characters from
anywhere blaming a Win95 text editor to cause the
trouble -- all in vain.

I tried to use the loutrefs.ld database file instead
of mine and all the references appeared right!

The solution was this:

(1) WHEN PORTING THE *.ld FILES TO A WINDOWS-BASED
COMPUTER, ALL end-of-lines MUST BE TRANSLATED TO
"THEIR" <cr><lf>.

(2) THE *.lt FILES DO NOT SEEM TO BE THAT SENSITIVE
HERE.

with regards
Daniel