lout-users

Re: Re: Can anyone save my sanity -- help me to understand filtering?

From: Graham Douglas
Subject: Re: Re: Can anyone save my sanity -- help me to understand filtering?
Date: Sat, 7 Jul 2001 04:36:46 +0400 (MSD)

Hallelujah!

I have seen the light!! Thanks to your patient
explanations, Uwe, and a superb Lua example
posted to me by Peter Shook (who I also thanked by e-mail)
I now have filtering working beautifully. Hurrah!

If I may make a suggestion, the documentation on @Filter
*really* [desperately] needs much more explanation
-- especially for us non-Unix types ;-). It is *such* a
potentially powerful option that doing without it (through lack
of understanding) would, in my opinion, really impact on
Lout's power (for me, anyway).

I now realise what was causing my confusion:
(besides my brain cells... ;-))

1. The creation of those temporary files -- I only
   got that by stepping through my own compiled version of
   Lout and doing disk searches for them to see what they
   contained (what a way to learn..., but it worked).

2. That anything written to stdout communicated with Lout and
    *THAT* was how @IncludeGraphic got to know the name of the file
     new/filtered EPS. Hence you need to print the name of the EPS you want to
    include to stdout [eg from within Lua]. Sheesh, that was **not at all**
    obvious from the docs -- maybe it is obvious to Unix users, I don't know.
    This was the single biggest hurdle to working this process out.

Anyway a big, big thanks to all.

I have written the PostScript prolog I mentioned and already received
several requests -- which I answered. The offer still stands for those
who want a copy.

Happy Louting

(a very happy) Graham