lout-users

Re: Lout keywords

From: Valeriy E. Ushakov
Subject: Re: Lout keywords
Date: Fri, 6 Jul 2001 14:15:00 +0400

On Fri, Jul 06, 2001 at 10:20:55 +0200, RaЗl NЗЯez de Arenas Coronado wrote:

> > Expert's Guide is the up-to-date document (at least it's supposed to
> > be).
>
> Well, ok, I'll read it.  I supposed that Expert's Guide was like
> User's Guide but more deep at lout packages.

No, Expert's Guide is about core, "raw" Lout.  It also has some
examples of developing packages (based on 2.* stuff, but still
relevant).

> Is there any file which Lout reads without being included (with
> @Include or @SysInclude)?
[...]
> I mean databases, mainly.  In fact, any file under the lout library
> hierarchy: databases, include files, packages, etc...

Well, no.  You have to request it in one form or another e.g.
hyphenation patterns are read (lazily) if Lout encounters langdef
command etc.

> > > Moreover, since what I'm doing is trying to learn the Lout
> > > 'crude' language for pleasure, it will help if I could obtain a
> > > lout document just after the inclusion and expansion of macros
> > > and 'def's, but I don't know how to do it :??
> >
> > Look at include/picturef.
>
> It seems... unreadable.  I'll try to understand all of it with the
> guides at hand.

I misunderstood your original question here it seems.  You can watch
evaluation by compiling Lout with debugging enabled and use various -d
flags to trace execution.

As for include/picturef - it's about the minimal Lout document
possible, wrapped in a simple definition.  The absolute minimum is
something like:

        # define font(s)
        # define language(s)

        { ... } @Font