lout-users

Re: Music-Typesetting with lout?

From: Oliver Bandel
Subject: Re: Music-Typesetting with lout?
Date: Tue, 22 May 2001 17:47:12 +0200 (MET DST)

Hello!

On Tue, 22 May 2001, Valeriy E. Ushakov wrote:

> On Mon, May 21, 2001 at 22:51:06 +0200, Oliver Bandel wrote:
>
> > I wonder if it ios easy to use lout for music-typesetting.
> > I think it's easier then in TeX, because lout has graphical
> > features implemented and is very flexible.
>

> This is being discussed periodically.  The consensus is that you'd
> better leave music up to specialized programs.

Hmhhh.

Isn't lout an abstract "preprocessor" for Postscript?
Well, I heard about a "functional Postscript".
Maybe that will help me?

I'm looking not only for setting notes, but also
for writing dance-notations.

I have not found any program, that will work correctly and
achieving this. I only found a non-well written X11-program
for such notations.
So there is no program acchieving, what I need.

May I program it by myself from scratch?

> > Is lout able to go "backwards" in the typesetting-process, so that
> > one can use the normal linebreaking-algorithm for setting notes, but
> > is able to jump back to a position of already typesttet notes?
>
> In a lazy functional language there's no "backwards" ;-).

But there are "temporaroily forwards", like galleys, which are
used to set footnotes.

So, why not setting notes in arbitrarily order too?

Ciao,
   Oliver