lout-users

Re: current thoughts on PDF back end

From: bln
Subject: Re: current thoughts on PDF back end
Date: Mon, 14 May 2001 11:58:42 +0200

Hi everyone,

On Sun, May 13, 2001 at 10:45:56AM +1100, Jeff Kingston wrote:

> Can I have people's current throughts on the need for maintaining
> a PDF back end.

It seems that I'm in a minority position here. I chose Lout over
TeX because of its small footprint and its capability to generate
PDF, which can be viewed with lightweight tools.

I make heavy use of the PDF back end to preview my documents.
Only when the document is finished do I render it into PS to be
printed.

<rant>

To view PDF documents, I need only one tool: xpdf. xpdf is a
relatively small binary which doesn't require support files.
Although X fonts don't look particularly nice, it is a very good
tool for previewing and reading PDF documents.

Look at GNU Ghostscript on the other hand. The executable is
large ( > 1M, stripped, with only a few selected drivers compiled
in) and it also needs a large support tree. (Note that ps2pdf is
nothing more than a wrapper script around GS.)

Why can't we just convert Lout's PDF output to PS with pdf2ps?
Yes, that tool exists too. In fact, you can choose to use pdf2ps:
the GS wrapper, or pdf2ps: the standalone tool. The latter is
included with (I believe) xpdf and is a small binary without need
for support files.

I say we fix the PDF back end and drop PS support completely. PS
is old-fashioned, dangerous and bloated. To turn PS into PDF, a
full-fledged PS interpreter is required. Making PS out of PDF
requires only a (relatively) simple tool.

Need graphics? Use ps2pdf to turn your EPS files into EPDF files
(if such a thing exists) and make Lout support those.

Want to print your document? Use pdf2ps to convert it. Use
Ghostscript's built-in PDF support. Use a printer which supports
PDF natively. There are plenty of options.

"So", might some of you think, "what do I care about a small
footprint? If I need more space, I'll buy a cheap new 30+ GB
drive."

Well, some of us simply don't have the resources to buy a new
drive. Also, laptops and laptop drives really don't come that
cheap yet. Then there are those silly people who believe that
"Smaller Is Better(TM)".

</rant>

In conclusion, dropping the PDF back end will greatly reduce
Lout's advantage over other document formatting systems when it
comes to size and speed.

- --
Regards,                                                        /\
=Martin=                                                        \/
                       ASCII Ribbon Campaign Against HTML Mail  /\

PGP:  FE87448B  DDF8 677C 9244 D119 4FE0  AE3A 37CF 3458 FE87 448B