lout-users

Re: Problem with Bookman font

From: dani
Subject: Re: Problem with Bookman font
Date: Wed, 28 Feb 2001 15:32:55 +0100

     Ok, a problem I saw beside of that is that the printer didn't had the
Bookman font, so the text printed out with Courier. It would be nice (or a
TODO feature?) to add an option to lout for including the font description
in the Postscript output. The same happens with Ghostscript, and I don't
dare to jugdge if that's diffucult to implement or not :)
     Ah, I saw in a prior post Uwe asking for more people trying to answer
questions from users. I think he's right, but it's a
"strange" situation when in a mailing list are only two gurus about the
subject of the list, it's a pity.
     I know a very little subset of Lout's features, but there's one thing
I guess it would be great for all: To recollect the "top 20" lout scripts,
along with their .PS output (and maybe with a .txt file explaining the
thing), so people would learn looking at other's scripts. That could be
posted in sourceforge's Lout site.

     What do you think?

---
Dani Pardo, address@hidden
Enplater s.a

                    "Valeriy E.

                    Ushakov"             Para:   Lout Mailing List
<address@hidden>
                    <address@hidden        cc:

                    .ru>                 Asunto:      Re: Problem with Bookman
font

                    26/02/01

                    16:45

On Thu, Feb 22, 2001 at 10:40:44 +0100, address@hidden wrote:

>      @InitialFont { Bookman Base 24p      }.

> B{ {CLIENTE:  FORMAGERIES TERRES D'OR blah blah blah blah}}

> The problem is that the B row appears without spaces between words.
> If I want spaces I must use @Verbatim. If I don't use @Verbatim, I
> must add two spaces, but then the spacing is too much.

Tables are really hard to get right automagically and Bookman is a
dense font.  Unfortunately on short runs of text (like a table cell)
paragraph breaker is not very good at evaluating "badness" of line
breaking choices, so in your case it prefers a very tight one (hint:
use -dof (for "object fill") to trace paragraph breaker).

I usually check if my cells look ok and if some are not - I just fill
those that aren't manually (perhaps, tweaking column widths as well in
the process).

SY, Uwe