lout-users

Re: Repeatedly including an EPS file

From: Michael Piotrowski
Subject: Re: Repeatedly including an EPS file
Date: 05 Feb 2001 16:00:07 +0100

Efraim Yawitz <address@hidden> writes:

> Could you send me an example of this?
>
> I tried to just put all the PS code in the EPS file in a {}bind def,
> put that in as a @PrependGraphic from lout, and then make a stub EPS calling
> the procedure I defined, but Ghostscript just hung.

Well, as Uwe pointed out, in many cases it's unfortunately not *that*
easy.  Your basic approach is correct, but many EPS files are too
large to put into a single procedure.  If you want to go this way
(again, it depends on your needs whether you want to prefer this
approach over forms or fonts), you might be able to split your file
into several procedures (say, logo-part1, logo-part2, etc.) which are
then called from a main procedure (say, logo).  The feasibilty of this
depends on what the EPS looks like.  I once did this for a logo (the
university seal) generated by the CorelDRAW autotracer; in this case
it was fairly easy because the file was clearly structured into
objects, which I converted to four procedures.  PostScript code
generated by other applications might not be as suitable for this kind
of manipulation.

If you need more details, it's probably best to contact me directly.

Greetings

--
Michael Piotrowski, M.A.                                  <address@hidden>