lout-users

Re: Repeatedly including an EPS file

From: Michael Piotrowski
Subject: Re: Repeatedly including an EPS file
Date: 05 Feb 2001 04:32:13 +0100

"Valeriy E. Ushakov" <address@hidden> writes:

> On Sat, Feb 03, 2001 at 20:44:09 +0300, Valeriy E. Ushakov wrote:
>
> > > Can anyone advise a technique for defining the logo once and
> > > referencing it "symbolically".
> >
> > See Adobe Technote #5144 "Using EPS Files in PostScript Language Forms"
> >
> >     http://partners.adobe.com/asn/developer/pdfs/tn/5144.pdf
>
> Ok, this seems interesting, so I've given it a try.  First of all you
> need a Level 2 printer, that understands forms.  Section 3 of the
> technote explains how you can use copypage with Level 1 interpreters
> if you will use the EPS only once per page, but I haven't tried that
> approach.

[...]

Another approach is to define the logo as a procedure, download it
once to the printer, and include a stub EPS calling that procedure in
the document.  This is very easy to implement (simpler than forms, no
changes to Lout necessary), and it's portable across all
languagelevels; OTOH, this technique doesn't provide the caching
that's the main advantage of forms.

For completeness, yet another approach is to define the logo as a Type
1 font; this can be very efficient.

The most suitable approach depends--as always--on your requirements,
the properties of your logo, the environment (e.g., how many print
jobs use the logo, whether the bottleneck's in transferring jobs or in
processing jobs), etc.

Forms are definitely cool ;-)

--
Michael Piotrowski, M.A.                                  <address@hidden>