lout-users

Chess

From: Valeriy E. Ushakov
Subject: Chess
Date: Mon, 31 Jul 2000 20:30:15 +0400

On Mon, Jul 31, 2000 at 17:14:03 +0200, Mark Christiaens wrote:

> > I've tried to open the MERIDA font with FontLab and I can only see one
> > glyph (cross on a black field).  FontLab is very good, so I guess the
> > font really have problems.
> >
> > I'll look at it after vacation.
>
> Could you also look at one of the other fonts
>
> http://www.enpassant.dk/chess/downl/cases.zip
>
> This one looks like a nice one to but it didn't work either when
> converted to postscript.

I converted this font to Type1 with FontLab and after appropriate
@FontDef:

    @ID { Chess Base 40p } @Font {
       "!\"\"\"\"\"\"\"\"#"
    // "$tMvWlVmT%"
    // "$OoOoOoOo%"
    // "$ + + + +%"
    // "$+ + + + %"
    // "$ + + + +%"
    // "$+ + + + %"
    // "$pPpPpPpP%"
    // "$RnBqKbNr%"
    // "/(((((((()"
    }

prints a nice board.  The board is directly pasted from font docs and
with quotes added.  Unfortunately the font uses double quote, so the
input doesn't line up nicely in the source file as the quote is to be
escaped.

Note how // is used to compose the board.  Since row widths are
already equal by design of the font, we just need to concatenate rows
with zero gap left-adjusting them.

Complete sample sent privately as I don't want to distribute the
converted font (just in case).

SY, Uwe