lout-users

Re: Right to left

From: Valeriy E. Ushakov
Subject: Re: Right to left
Date: Tue, 1 Feb 2000 01:09:12 +0300

On Mon, Jan 31, 2000 at 04:17:47PM -0500, Lonnell L Peters wrote:

> Is there a way to render boxes right to left instead of right to left? I
> really only need it for small sections of text (ie. a word at once), but
> if it is possible to typeset a whole page like this, that would be great.

No, Lout currently has no support for RTL formatting.  For word at a
time, though, you can perhaps emulate it by combining two mirroring
transformations.  That's a hack, but that should work.

First you tweak the default font matrix of your font to mirror the
glyphs.  You tweak the AFM file to have positive WX values (I don't
think Lout can cope with negative WX).  You then wrap the word in
@Graphics that breaks out of surrounding gsave and installs mirrored
CTM, taking care, of course, to grestore it away afterwards.

That's how I would do it, anyway.

PS: That sounds interesting.  Can you please send me a pfa/afm for
your font (of course if the font can be legally distributed) and a few
sample words to play with (preferrably along with reference images ;-).
I will be away from my office tomorrow, but look at the problem when I
have time later this week.

SY, Uwe