lout-users

Strange behavior of "root" in "over"'s context

From: Giovanni Zezza
Subject: Strange behavior of "root" in "over"'s context
Date: Tue, 28 Dec 1999 23:00:33 +0100

I'm very new to Lout, so no surprise if I'd happen to be wrong.

I'm facing an incorrect behavior of "root" I can't fix in some
circumstances (Lout 3.13, Windows version):

@Eq { n root {a + b} }                    # this is ok

@Eq { { n root {a over b} } over c }      # and this too

@Eq { { n root {a + b}} over c }           # here "n" is misaligned

@Eq { { n root { a_wide_thing }} over c }  # here too

@Eq { c over { n root { a_wide_thing }}}   # here too

What happens in last 3 cases is the "n" symbol is positioned too low,
covering the left edge of the root symbol.

This was using standard fonts. When using TeX fonts, the misalignment is a
little nicer: the order of the root is at least readable, but this time too
left.

I did read the "root" definition, and admired its terseness, but wasn't
able to fix anything.

I have not yet tested this in Lout 3.17, but all Eq's definitions involved
are identical (and so are supposed to be fonts), so I'm inclined to think
the problem is still here (either in Lout or in me, this has to be see).

Ciao.