lout-users

Re: More @Tbl problems

From: Valeriy E. Ushakov
Subject: Re: More @Tbl problems
Date: Tue, 12 Oct 1999 14:52:31 +0400

On Sun, Oct 10, 1999 at 08:44:58PM -0700, James Ramsey wrote:

> Note that one of the entries is "Theore- tical" not
> "Theoretical". If I use "Theoretical" I get this error
> message:
>
> 32,4: 5.543c object horizontally scaled by factor 0.33
> (too wide for 1.861c paragraph)
[...]
> Why Lout can't break up the word "Theoretical" is
> beyond me. Could this be a bug?

You can watch how paragraph breaker works if you have a lout binary
compiled with debugging.  Specify -dof or -ddof (for more).

The problem in your case is that the line is so bad without
hyphenation, that on the first pass (when hyphenation is disabled)
lout can't split it, because it will be TOO_LOOSE, and so the best
interval that lout comes up with comprises the whole line.
Consequently, lout doesn't even try to turn the hyphenation on.  If I
swap the order of two tests in FillObject (if (I.llink == x) and else
if (can_hyphenate && IntervalBadness(BestI) > HYPH_BAD)) then lout
tries to apply hyphenation and finds [Theore- // tical hoop // strain
// @E].

I'm not sure why best interval that is whole line is (unconditionally)
never hyphenated.

As another workaround you can put an @LLP after "Theoretical" which
will give you [ Theoretical // hoop // strain // @E ].

SY, Uwe