lout-users

Re: another question (scaled text line)

From: Jeff Kingston
Subject: Re: another question (scaled text line)
Date: Thu, 07 Oct 1999 16:34:01 +1000

> I'm trying to fit text such as
>
>    address@hidden quotedblleft}I write [music] as to sow
>    address@hidden quotedblright} Wolfgang~Amadeus~Mozart,~b.~1756

> into a space that is too small for the whole non-breaking-space phrase
> I would really like to have it break the line before the name and
> just scale the smallest piece that needs it.

I would have thought that is what Lout does.  I'll look into it to
see if there is a bug.  Meanwhile, you could insert a line break
before the unbreakable thing:

address@hidden quotedblleft}I write [music] as to sow
address@hidden quotedblright}
@LLP
Wolfgang~Amadeus~Mozart,~b.~1756

That will put it into a different paragraph, effectively, which
should be a reasonable workaround.  The sad truth is that when
things don't fit, the fallback positions are hard to define well,
and Lout does not do a wonderful job of it, although it is
gradually getting better as cases like this are reported.

Jeff