lout-users

lout2html (alpha + v. crude)

From: Mark Summerfield
Subject: lout2html (alpha + v. crude)
Date: Thu, 29 Jul 1999 08:34:51 +0100 (British Summer Time)

David,

I've had a look at doing lout2html and have put a crude alpha version in
xxx2lout-1.10.tar.gz (linked from the Lout home page - should be there by
tomorrow).

Jeff told me that there isn't a BNF for lout which means it would be quite
difficult to write a proper parser. So instead I've done something crude
and nasty: if you have lots of simple paragraphs, perhaps with (untagged)
lists it may be OK - certainly it'll convert @Char cedilla etc into the
HTML equivalents.

It does not do tables and will probably never do diagrams or graphics
(although this is theoretically possible, e.g. by 'drawing' gifs for
example).

Nor does it really understand lout syntax. For example lout encourages
        @CD @Heading { heading text }
whereas lout2html really expects
        @CD { @Heading { heading text } }
I'm pondering over this one.

I'll probably do a bit more work on it to eliminate some of the gross
problems, but it will be an 80% job at best.

Mark.
address@hidden  http://www.chest.ac.uk