lout-users

strange .eps behavior

From: Jim Coker
Subject: strange .eps behavior
Date: Tue, 13 Apr 1999 16:16:19 -0600

I'm having some strange behavior with embedded .eps images.
The example below is clipped from a larger Lout file.  No
errors are directly reported, but .ps generation seems to stop
at the first .eps, i.e. none of the rest of the file is generated
(as viewed in GSView).  If I remove the first eps, things go
ok until another eps appears 20 or so pages (and 10 or so eps')
later, when the same thing happens.  There doesn't seem to be
a direct problem with the eps files, as if I remove the first
@IncludeGraphic, then change the second one to be "CompTree1.eps",
then this area generates ok.

I thought it might be related to the placement of the eps at
the beginning of the section, as several of the eps files that
cause trouble later on also happen to be after the first paragraph
of a section.  But some tests reveal that it
is not necessarily that either.  After a dozen or so tries of various
combinations, I can't find any one thing that seems to be the cause.

Here are some of the combinations I tried:

Swapping the two files results in the same problem.

Removing the first @IncludeGraphic fixes the problem.

Removing the second @IncludeGraphic results in the same problem.

Duplicating the first paragraph of the section results in
the same problem.

Removing the first @IncludeGraphic, and changing the file
of the second eps to CompTree1.eps fixes the problem.

CompTree1.eps is a bit wider than CompTree2.eps (6.5"w x 6.3"h
vs 5.7"w x 6.7"h), but again, there seems to be no behavior
change based on which file is used in either @IncludeGraphic
position.

I have finally found a workaround, placing {} just before
the scaled image, I really don't know why it works, but if that's
what I have to do...

Any suggestions/explanations are much appreciated,
Jim

Here is the lout code excerpt:

 @NP
 @End @Section
 @Section
   @Title {Widgets, Widgets, Widgets}
   @Tag {Swing.Swing1.JFCWidgets}
 @Begin
 @LP
This section describes how to use the various Swing widgets. Part of the
component hierarchy looks similar to AWT.

 @LP
 0.5 @Scale @IncludeGraphic "images/CompTree1.eps"

 @LP
However, it is incomplete. There are over double the number of
components in Swing than in AWT. This second set of components is what
appeals most to developers, as it provides a much richer set of widgets
to use.

 @LP
 0.5 @Scale @IncludeGraphic "images/CompTree2.eps"

 @BeginSubSections
 @SubSection

Here are the first few errors reported by Lout on the first
pass (many unresolved cross reference errors follow):

     3,1: size constraint 14794.721c,15.989c,14794.721c broken by
0.000c,20.081c

     3,1: size constraint 14794.721c,20.988c,14794.721c broken by
0.000c,25.079c

     3,1: unresolved cross reference @Runner&&following
     3,1: too little horizontal space for galley @BookBody at @Galley